It's health smart to eat bison meat.
- Male bison are not castrated, and those not being kept as herd bulls are normally butchered when they are 2 to 2 1/2 years old.
- Buffalo can be "finished out" for slaughter either in a feedlot or on grass. The average gain for a buffalo being finished out is around two pounds per day.
- Growth stimulants and implants are not used on bison.
- Buffalo meat is low in fat and cholesterol and has a higher protein content than beef. In fact, bison meat has the highest percentage of protein of any meat tested.
- Many cardiologists recommend that their patients eat bison meat as a healthy alternative to other red meats and pork.